Author Topic: Welcome Back! Thanks for your patience... Here's What Happened.  (Read 278 times)

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
  • 3 is my favourite number.
Welcome Back! Thanks for your patience... Here's What Happened.
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »
First and foremost,
Welcome back, everyone!

As you probably noticed, the site was down for about 2 weeks. We were up briefly on October 2nd, and then the site was promptly down again. Our host has now confirmed everything is back to normal. There should be no more hiccups related to the recent troubles.

I really want to thank everyone for their patience during the outage. We were very close to moving, however right when we were about to officially open the backup site, we came back up here. :) So, we are here to stay. Since all our posts and accounts were here, there was really no point in moving.

So what exactly happened? Well, our host has been growing like a weed. Their previous server was okay, but at times would have excruciatingly slow loading times. So they had begin looking at upgrading, when the servers began having a few more issues. This led to an improptu server move, which is why towards the end of August the forum began to slow loading times, and the occasional outage.

The cause of the first week-long outage was a database error. When the forums were moved over, the MySQL settings (the database settings) didn't transfer properly. So, our host with the server techs had to re-do the setting for each of the 50 000 forums on the network by hand. The second outage was caused by some other problems, which weren't explained. It is likely some of the other errors from the move.

So we are, as of now, on a new server. Speeds should be improved (I myself have noticed an improvement). The move is complete, and our host says the issues have been resolved.

So, I once again want to thank you for your patience during the outage. Just as you were frustrated, so was I. We seem to be running okay now, so we will be staying here for now. I have a few improvements and changes coming up for the site, including a slight reorganization of the forums and possibly a portal remodel. But more on that later. :)

Welcome back, everyone! Enjoy your stay and I look forward to getting the discussion started again!

=simLink
Simopsis Webmaster

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
  • Why? Because we all like tacos, no?
we're here to stay, I hope :P :)

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster