Author Topic: Durham V2 - Whitewater Territory @ Simopsis  (Read 4335 times)

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
  • Why? Because we all like tacos, no?
Durham V2 - Whitewater Territory @ Simopsis
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »

Most of my inspiration CSGdesign's Natural Growth. The biggest difference between Whitewater and NG though is the way I develop and plan my cities.

I like to call my play style here "controlled natural growth", meaning I keep my cities from getting too big or too small through planning ahead and limiting growth where needed, but maintain several aspects of natural growth, such as supplying the cities needs as they arise, and using minimal plops and no cheats. I'm in no rush to meet the clouds with soaring skyscrapers, they'll come as demand (and my whim) allows.

Resources

Pagehits

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:27:29 pm by cheesey »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
Re: DUrham V2 - Whitewater Territory @ Simopsis
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:55:45 pm »

Update 2 - Humble Beginnings.

Welcome to Whitewater Run, the frontier town in the Whitewater Territory of Durham. It was chosen as the site for Whitewater's first town after the discovery of oil.

The expansion of Oak Island Grainery has caused a surplus in production. This surplus would be sent to other frontier locations such as Riverfront, further east. The basic ferry and boat docks crossing the river cannot support entire freight trucks, so a street bridge might be required in place of this.

Whitewater Run started out with Black Gold Oil, the group managing the town's oil rigs.

This was copypasted from SimMania

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:13 pm »

Most of Whitewater Run's development takes place on the east side of Oak Island, in the middle of the widest portion of Greenstone River. The area on the eastern bank, after being surveyed, was determined to be suitable for development. This would put it closer to logging fields and other hamlets on the eastern plains, which are mostly flat and wooded.

Both developments were connected by a car/passenger ferry system consisting of two terminals on either side of the river.

Meanwhile, more farms were constructed along the west and south beaches on Oak Island. This would eventually make either a seaport, or a long bridge necessary.

Another proposal included the development of a river delta about 15km south of Whitewater Run. A road line wasn't put on the table by local bureaucracies but a small private contractor, a branch from Orangewood Feed and Seed, volunteered for the construction of a pontoon which would link up to the ferry route being used by residents of Whitewater Run. The pontoon would more than likely be constructed out of aluminium.. which could easily be removed and replaced with a larger ferry terminus if required.

Meanwhile, city industry began developing a short walk north of the eastern development in Whitewater Run.. which produced pollution in nearby areas.. but the many jobs it created.. combined with the general location being on the continent and not the island made it the forecasted hub for development for the next 5 years or more.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:51:38 am by cheesey »

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:58:04 pm »

Central Whitewater Territory is considered to be the area near Wooded Island and Branch Island, situated between Goldspire and Whitewater Run. A beautiful peninsula near the east branch of Little Whitewater River and Big Whitewater River is expected to be the next site for development.

A railroad connecting Goldspire and Whitewater Run was on the docket for a monthly council meeting. While there is a river connecting Goldspire to BWR (Big Whitewater River), it is nowhere near wide or deep enough to allow ferries to safely travel. A road would be unjustified because of very low population and traffic usage. A railroad would also be faster and allow easier access to the surveyed area near the river fork.

Click for big.
The path for the railroad is simply an estimate. It will become more detailed as planning and surveying begins taking place.

In other news, local industry began developing in Goldspire. Since this industry is so close to residential development, walls were put in place along the outer edges of industrially zoned land to aid in containing pollution and noise in order to improve conditions near the residential development.

According to census figures, the Goldsby population is projected to be 5,376 over the next five years.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:51:58 am by cheesey »

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:58:43 pm »
No, the mega update I mentioned on twitter hasn't arrived yet. But here's a teaser to hold you over until then:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:50:21 am by cheesey »

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »

UPDATE 5 - A Newborn Town
Branch Island is an island south of Wooded Island on the Little Whitewater River. Until recently it has been nothing more than absolute wilderness until the first low density residential and small ferry dock were established.

Although there is a pontoon, Branch Island needs access to the ferries in Whitewater Run, which can't travel Little Whitewater River due to it not being wide and deep enough, at least until the construction of the railroad is complete. Knowing that towns simply can't grow without some form of infrastructure to connect it to the outside world, it's gotten Goldspire demanding for some form of access to infrastructure as well. If the region is to ever expand, something must be done to connect the two struggling towns to Whitewater Run.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:44:43 pm by cheesey »

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 12:59:52 pm »
Whitewater Run's council has finished the official path that the Whitewater Run/Goldspire rail link will take. Work has already begun and is moving along at a steady pace.

Whitewater Territory is becoming a very popular place for settlers, which in 6 years has grown from the village of a few lone settlers to a sprawling community of more than 6,000 residents. Several citizens had signed petitions and it quickly had a public water system on the docket. This would unfortunately run the city over its allocated spending for the year, meaning it would be a few more years before a public water system could be put in place.

Citizens turned to a local waterworks utility centre. It was in the private sector, run by a small family and was involved in the production of anything that required water. Because of frequent rainfall and the fact that the river was large enough, Whitewaterworks decided to build a medium sized water tower near to its manufacturing and processing plant and build pipelines across the western side of Whitewater.

Because of the expense of piping water across the river to the industrial sector, unfortunately the east is still high and dry - for now at least.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:51:12 am by cheesey »

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
  • 3 is my favourite number.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:16:31 pm »
Hmmm... the fact the photos aren't working it a little odd. If you PM me the code you used for the update I'll have a look if maybe there is a setting I haven't enabled/disabled, or perhaps the code is slightly different from the old site. Of course, copy/pasting the links works too. :)

I know the only difference I found when porting over is while on forumotion chaging the size is [size=18], here with SMF it is ...

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 05:31:17 pm »
Or you can hit edit on my posts to see the code :P

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »
Or you can hit edit on my posts to see the code :P

I sometimes forget of my administrative powers. :P

Anyways, I had a look and nothing out of the ordinary. The major thing seems to be - in a lot of posts - the BBCode isn't working, at all. I tried bolding, italicizing and changing the colour of the text I put in (the Admin Edit: ...) and the code shows up, but doesn't format the posts for some reason.

Would you mind trying using some BBCode in a post below? Thanks!
It seems to be choosey on when to work in your posts. :S
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:45:42 pm by simLink »

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:48:30 pm »
bold
italics
underline

works fine for me :P

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:53:44 pm »
Then I have no idea. :P I'm pretty sure they should work fine... I copy and pasted the image links into a post and hit "preview" and they showed up fine. Just don't seem to want to work in your posts... odd.

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »

it's finally here...

[size=21]REPLIES[/size]
==================
[size=16]Simmania[/size]
Hope the project comes along well :)
Thanks!
==================
[size=16]Simopsis[/size]
(none)
==================
[size=16]SimCity 4 Kingdom[/size]
Good!
Awesome update :)
Thank you both!
==================
[size=16]CSGforums[/size]
With those bridges, it's an expensive looking railway project.
It'll be worth it in the end ;)
==================
We're going to kick off this update with a few announcements. First of which, the journal due to the lack of interest and activity has been discontinued on CSGforums (and because I rarely if at all post there anymore). Second is that Durham v2 now has its own website, which can be found here!. It's not quite complete so don't nitpick just yet :P

A journal which will run alongside this one, Stories of Durham is in progress. It will showcase two different provinces within Durham - Stocking Island and Pembroke Territory. It is scheduled to be started on 10 September.

Now, onto the update.
===================

The population of Whitewater as a whole has surpassed 15,000. Whitewater has hit 8,500 and Goldspire is at 5,500. Because of the difficulty of enforcing the council's ordinances in Goldspire for being so far south and with a population surging nearly as high as Whitewater Run's, it has decided to liberate Goldspire and establish its own council.

While this took many worries off of Whitewater Run's shoulders, it thrust them onto Goldspires, and Whitewater Run still has some troubling concerns to take care of. First is the increasing demand for agriculture in Whitewater Run, but the lack of space makes that a problem. An area near the industrial dispatch in Whitewater Run is being considered for farming, however it hasn't been made official yet.

Agriculture isn't the only thing in demand in Whitewater Run - a new industrial dispatch has already been approved for a small peninsula on the western portion of the river.

In Goldspire several problems present the newly formed council. One problem is connections to Whitewater Run. Although construction of the rail link has been making swift problems, manufactured products have been sitting warehoused. Another concern that has been raised is the large amounts of traffic headed to the nearest ferry dock in the nearby village of White Settlement. This is the largest problem facing the council right now as road pollution has been killing farm fields nearby. Something must be done soon in order to save the agricultural business in Goldspire.

Another concern facing Whitewater Run's council is the growth on Branch Island. Surrounding terrain is too steep to build on, however holds one of the rail junctions for the Whitewater Run - Goldspire rail link. Another junction connecting Wooded Island to Branch Island is located nearby, and is expected to be the location for a new industrial dispatch within the next ten years.

Branch Island, 1919 G.Y.

Goldspire, 1919 G.Y.

Whitewater Run, 1919 G.Y.

Farms surrounding Whitewater Run]

One of the rail link junctions

White Settlement
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:21:11 pm by Simopsis Staff »

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:30:44 pm »
And once again the pictures aren't working.. the bbcode between simmania and simop is different so I'll have to edit it before posting here.. yay

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:18 am »
I don't know why that's happening. I'm looking into it still, but I had the same problem going from here to SM. It seems like the BBCode just stops working completely, not just the IMG codes. I tried quooting your previous post, to no luck.

Definitely weird. I've posted this in the staff forum, maybe frex knows what's going on. If not, I'll bring it up with our host on the support forum.

Thanks for your patience, cheesey! :)

PROBLEM SOLVED (HOPEFULLY!)
I just copied your post into the editor, hit preview and it works! It turns out it is probably the image re-sizer, which added height=# and width=# into your posts, which is where it seems to have stopped working.

If you could please try posting it again to see if that actually is the problem, that's be awesome! :) Try both copying/pasting your post from here, and SM - if you wouldn't mind. If you have to, do it in a test topic so as not to clutter up this one.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:14:15 am by simLink »