Author Topic: Forum Renovation - Simopsis Version 2.1  (Read 424 times)

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
  • 3 is my favourite number.
Forum Renovation - Simopsis Version 2.1
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:03:05 am »
Hello members!

Once in a while, staff will go over the layout of the forums and discuss any changes we feel would benefit the site, or make sense given lack of activity, etc.

For the past few weeks I have been working on a new forum layout that will shorten the board index of our site. I've discussed it with staff, who feel this would be a good idea. So over the coming days/weeks, you will begin to notice changes to the forum layout and the way the board are laid out.

Currently on the board index we have 26 "top level" forums. In the proposed new layout, this will be reduced down to 19. The primary change you will notice is the off-topic boards being merged into one forum (with sub forums for forum games, current events, etc.) and the Site-Related boards also being merged into one forum (with subforums). These 2 new sections will be merged into one category to be known as "Simopsis Community."

During this time, we will also being expanding some of our boards. For example, we will now have dedicated-forums for sports and current events in the off-topic section.

Some boards are being shrunk. The CitiesXL category is being deleted, and CitiesXL will now reside in the Other games category. City Albums will be a sub forum to the main CitiesXL board. Also, the Other Games board is being renamed to Gaming Corner to represent the wider area covered.

There will also be some other changes to boards during this process, which will have updates here in this thread. General updates to this entire process will be made here.

This layout change will be carried out in phases so as to minimize any necessary downtime (especially given our recent outage.) :P The first thing to be carried out will be the reorganization of the Off-Topic boards. At some point after that, the Simopsis Related boards will be reorganized. For the time being, they will remain in their own categories, being merged further down the line once everyone is used to each of these topics new layouts.

Should you have any questions/comments about this process, please post them here. The changes will likely start this week, and as soon as today. The changes will be carried out over 1-2 weeks, depending on my RL schedule.

Also as part of this change, we MAY remodel the portal. More details on that down the line. ;)

This is not a full "version" change, but rather a 0.1 change. We will be running on Simopsis 2.1 when these changes are complete. ;)

As mentioned, updates will be posted here. If you have any questions/comments/concerns, please post them here!

I thank you in advance for your patience during this process.

simLink
Simopsis Webmaster
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:31:22 pm by simLink »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
Re: Forum Renovation - Simopsis Version 2.1
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »
We appear to be having issues with the backend of our forum related to the move/database. Things will proceed when the issues are fixed by our host.

Please feel free to comment anyways. :)

Offline Simopsis Staff

• Administrator
  • Passing Through
  • Reputation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »
We have a new portal! :D Hope you like the look of it. Work on forum reorganization will commence when hosting issues are sorted out. Stay tuned...

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:29:08 pm »
As part of turning 6 yesterday, our new look launched! Hope you like the new look and layout. :) We will do the forum reorganization whenever our host gets the feature working again. :P

Offline Ceafus 88

• Administrator
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 5
  • Keep it professional, but keep it fun.
    • The Sim Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:41 pm »
Loving it, it all looks fantastic!

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »
WELCOME TO THE NEW LAYOUT!
Hopefully you will soon be able to find everything again. :)

So what's new? Off-Topic and Site Related merged to form Simopsis Community. We merged CitiesXL into the "Gaming Zone" category (formerly "Other Games") and moved some categories around.

I'm also pleased to announce another project will be making Simopsis its home, PMHD. More information on the in the coming weeks.

So like I said, hope you can find your way around. With the layout change complete, we are officially on Simopsis 2.1! Hope you like it everyone. If you have any comments, don't forget to fire off in the Site Related sub forum "Site Feedback". :)

-simLink
Webmaster & Founder

Offline Ceafus 88

• Administrator
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 5
  • Keep it professional, but keep it fun.
    • The Sim Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:19 pm »
Looking good, looking good, just found forum games :P