Author Topic: Holt District  (Read 4305 times)

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
  • 3 is my favourite number.
Re: Holt District
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2013, 10:36:20 pm »
It's a combination. Weather effect for rain, along with the darkened sky. Further darkened with increased contrast and increased "sharpness" in the photo editing department.

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 09:30:37 pm »

Many have wondered how Holt District can always be happy. Today is the answer: it isn't.

Replies next update.

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 05:36:27 pm »

Darkness is not something that will disappear quickly, it seems...

Note: this is a very plot-laden update. The pictures only play a small role, so I encourage you to read the storyline...

My heart was pounding in my ear. My palms were sweaty. I could feel the nervous twitch in my eyebrow - it happens everytime I am scared. I can't believe I'm doing this. What have I gotten myself into? But something just didn't feel right about that aid meeting yesterday. The deputy commisioner of the region looked off - he was smirking. It was very... sinister. Maybe he just has acid reflex, but something just didn't seem right.

I see it. The light. I'm almost at the vent opening to his office. I can hear voices coming from outside the office. I better be quiet.
I  hear the door opening.

"We can talk here, gentlemen."
It was the deputy regional councillor, Alexi Samson.

"Well, we've found a loophole in our insurance policy. As you know, the majority of tornado victims are insured with us. We instituted policy changes that came into effect the day before the tornado hit which states we no longer cover tornado damage. Most customers are none the wiser. We alerted them 4 weeks in advance of the changes, as per our legal requirement. However, none of our affected clients purchased the upgrade package that includes tornado damage. It has a low penetration in the region overall, about 5% of clients hold it."
I'm not sure who that is. I can't quite see. I wiggle closer to the grate to look out. It is the CEO of Simsurance Holt, Ltd., the largest insurer in the region. His name is Robert Revenue.

"So are you saying the victims aren't covered?" chymed Samson.
Revenue replied with a simple "Yes."

Samson seemed unclear. "Okay. So when the victims find out, we offer to buy their properties, correct? Since they don't have the funds, in theory, to rebuild, they will have to sell? And then we turn over the properties to you Julia?"

He was speaking to Julia Harshrode, the founder of Callinca Homes. They're a recent entry to the housing market in Holt District. She always seemed really nice.
"Yes, exactly. Once we have control of the land, we will increase the density of homes in the affected areas. To make us look good, we'll offer the victims a home at a reduced rate, say about 50% of cost. We'll still end up ahead in the end."

I had never heard of such vile things. This continued for what seemed like hours as I listened on in horror. I couldn't believe their plan. In essence, they're taking advantage of a loop hole in insurance policies. The region would look good for offering distressed home owners an out, the home builder would look good by offering cheaper residences while taking over their former homes, and the insurance company gets a fat cheque from both parties. And all 3 of them will pocket large sums of money from this deal. It was the most vile thing I'd ever heard.

Eventually, the meeting ended. They exchange pleasantries. However, before leaving, the councillor Samson spoke "It was nice meeting all of you. And I look forward to working with you."
He chuckled.
"Before I leave for the night, I must check my air vent. It heard the distinct sound of a rat making itself at home."

My blood ran cold. I can't be caught... what... what would they do to me? I certainly can't help them. I began to back up slowly. Thankfully Samson was a very short man, and would need to grab his step ladder to reach the vent near the ceiling I was hiding in.

I managed to avoid being seen the entire way out of the Regional Headquarters Building.

I now found myself in downtown Sherkston. My head was spinning... had I really just heard what I did? How could any humanbeing take advantage of another in such an evil, vile manner? I was beginning to feel sick. The ground was spinning, the bright lights twirling.

I began to feel even sicker. How could any person, ANYONE, take advantage of the people who had everything taken away from them? WHO'S RUNNING THIS PALCE?!

I have to do something.... but what?! What can I possibly do? Wait a second...
I realized the Regional Police Force's HQ was just down the street from here.
Should I rat?
What kind of power do those people have, what kind of connections?
No.
I have to go. I have to do this.
I began walking to the police building, recording in hand.
This must not go any further. It has to end here...

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »

Something is happening in Holt District, and our mystery character is finding out the consequences of getting in the way...

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 05:24:59 pm »

4 new massive projects have been approved in 4 locations. As to what they are, and where they are, you will have to wait and see. But for now, you do get to see the sites themselved. Any guesses as to what each one is, and where each site is? Props if you can figure all 4 out - not all of them have been previously mentioned.

Project 1:

Project 2:

Project 3:

Project 4:

What and where could these projects be? Stay tuned to find out...
and if you have any guesses, feel free to take a stab at where/what all 4 are. If you can do it, props!

On a side note, sorry for the lack of activity here recently. RL has kept me busy, as has helping to launch a new look for Simmania, one of the sites Holt District is published on. Coding, designing and everything that goes into making a new website look has kept me busy, as has studying, eating and you know, sleeping. :P

Replies (hopefully) this weekend!

boldnewhd.weebly.com

[/center]

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15:44 pm »

Darkness continues to swirl through HD - and beyond...

Our mystery character is a whistle blower. He alerted the HDRPS about the corruption and plan hatched by the insurer, vice regional chair and developer. And then, only a few days later, he suffered a blackout during an announcement where the vice-chair was present. Could these events be related? Find out right now...

19.1 | I began to slowly wake up... I heard door shutting. The doors of the mysterious van I was in swung open and the cold air flooded in. We certainly weren't in Holt District anymore, it was snowing. It almost never snows in Holt District. The masked people grabbed me and I saw where they were taking me - a delapitated looking house that seemed to be surrounded by a swamp. It was cold out and was snowing heavily.

19.2 | The area was definitely a swamp land - and it looked fairly isolated. That worried me... would anybody find me? What was going to happen to me... who were these people? My mind was racing and my heart was pounding. Was this the end? Or... were they going to rough me up into not saying a word? Was going to the police the wrong thing to do? So many questions raced in my mind...

19.3 | They took me inside, sat me down and tied me to the chair. The room was dark, cold and woefully ugly. Despite the situation I was in, the first thing that came to mind was how dated the wood panelling is. They began to walk away from me into the kitchen area. I was getting worried again as I ran out of things to distract myself with. They tied me really tight, I don't think I'm getting out of this chair...

19.4 | I began wondering what kind of person could go to the kitchen and start cooking while a hostage sat in their living room. Then it hit me - they were gone. The car doors outside slammed. And that bacon smell was turning to burnt meat and wood that's on fire - there's a glow and embers coming from the kitchen. Uhoh. This isn't going to end well, is it? The smoke detector went off...

19.5 | That same moment, the HDRPS in assosciation with the Orchidsen Police Service (OPS) stormed and raided the Holt District regional offices. By order of the Province of Orchidsen government, the building was to be turned upside down as part of a corruption investigation. The scheme is falling, as is the Holt District government...

Coming soon to this space... hopefully. :P

Offline Darth Apple

• SPEX Administrator
  • Local Legend
  • Reputation 0
    • Simmania
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2013, 08:59:55 pm »
Great update! I really like the detail in the pictures. :D