Author Topic: Durham V2 - Whitewater Territory @ Simopsis  (Read 4324 times)

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
  • 3 is my favourite number.
Re: Durham V2 - Whitewater Territory @ Simopsis
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:49 pm »
I love me some good construction photos - those cranes are fantastic! Whitewater is certainly growing quickly. :)

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
  • Why? Because we all like tacos, no?
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »
Here's a population/census information update for you. Didn't feel up to doing replies, they'll come next time, promise :)

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 09:28:05 pm »
January 2013 Referendum

This is where disputable issues will be brought up that the journal readers will decide on. This is the second referendum that has been held and includes four issues. You're encouraged to vote on all four of them.

Also, if you'd like to propose an alternative, you can.

NOTE: Bright green in these pictures indicate a proposed road.
Proposal 1: New development in scenic, forested portion of Goldspire

This issue is up for debate due to the scenery and nature of this area. Park land would be added and maintained, however.

Proposal 2: Extended residential & commercial development along Regional Highway terminus + road upgrade.

Should the area in the following picture remain cleared, undeveloped land (which would mean higher land value due to development being further away from the highway) or be developed as residential and commercial (which would slightly decrease land value, increase traffic but increase population and satisfy demand)

Issue 1: Where should the new fire department airport be located in Whitewater Run? This airport would allow for forest fires to be extinguished more easily

Issue 2: Shall an abandoned street near a power centre in White Settlement be redeveloped as mid to high rise commercial?

Once again, it is encouraged that you vote on each of these. Results will come next update.

[size=18]Replies[/size]

(none)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:12:12 pm by cheesey »

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 11:53:43 pm »
First of all, great census, the only suggestion is write which city in the images or above, some didn't have which city they were from. :P Nice to see each city and an image, looks like things are booming in some areas. :)

As for the proposals:
Proposal 1 - Yes
Proposal 2 - Yes
Issue 1- Location B
Issue 2 - no. I think this should be a mix of residential and commercial mid rises, not completely one or the other.

Those are my thoughts. Looking forward to what happens. You are doing awesome. :D

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »
Progress in the City - Part 2 + Referendum Results

There are larger photo sizes starting this update. They will be under 1280x1024, instead of 1024x768. If demand is high enough, a resized version to 800x600 will be posted (elseware, not here)

The city shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Commercial demand is slowly being satisfied while the population continues to rise. Let's take a look at some of the changes that have been made since last time.

This particular hospital has transformed the area. It is expected to be the site of the Durham University. This particular hospital is expected to become part of the medical school there.

This commercial district struggles because of its location out of the way of any residential development and because of space related issues. A high rise pod was started here, but never made it very far.

An example of some of the more obscure supermarkets making their way into the town.

Across town we find the historic center. These are modern buildings fashioned after more rustic ones. This is in uptown, within walking distance of the sea (more like puddle) of skyscrapers.

This high rise pod is expanding due to high land value and ideal location between the Water Heights and Northside subdivisions.

A fast food restaurant in a very wooded area in between the Water Heights and Northside subdivisions.

Referendum Results
In total there were 22 votes from 8 people. 2 votes from 2 people did not count. Thank you to all who made this a success. And an even greater thanks to those of you who proposed alternatives. Proposing alternatives can take the journal in an entirely different direction. Without further ado, your results:

Replies

simlink: thank you! :)

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2013, 05:14:40 pm »
Whitewater always seems to be happy during the day, and when the weather is nice. But under a blanket of overcast a night during a snowstorm, things change..... a lot....

Replies next update.

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:49 pm »
Hmm... things are getting a little bit ominous. Intriguing...

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:33 pm »
[size=18]Update 19: Under the Cover of Darkness - Part 1[/size]

At sunrise on a Tuesday morning, police lined a quiet neighborhood street. Bystanders watched as the police went door to door and were talking to several people.
John Lancaster had been in Goldspire and had witnessed a group of hicks build a dangerous coal mine on stolen city property a far walk from the city center. And now, on his own street, something happened.
While anxious about what could have taken place that morning, an officer approached him, placed his hand on his shoulder and sternly asked if he knew what had just happened.

"Uhhhh, no?" replied Landsdowne.
"A group of serial killers found their way here. They ran off into the nearby woods before we could tell who they were or what they looked like. Mr. and Mrs. Long a few houses down were murdered."

Wondering if he was in danger and if he could get any more information, he turned on the news to find that a similar situation had just happened in Whitewater Run no more than two hours before. And on top of that, there was a bank robbery in White Settlement and a wildfire along a rural stretch of the Regional Highway which was only extinguished by fire planes. Each of these had no suspects, in fact, there weren't even any persons of interest.

By this time it was getting quite obvious that this would evolve into a huge scandal, a controversy. The entire region had already been disrupted by this string of events. Were they by the same person? It seemed to be that way at first glance but it could have been different people. And if so, were they connected?

"After the police left things seemed to go back to normal, the sound of construction on a nearby highway expansion commenced once again and the sound of traffic increased. Then the sky darkened further and the snow began falling once again. It was a Tuesday and a foot of snow wouldn't be enough to shut down the city, so off to work it was. It was a very slow drive into Whitewater Run because the snow plows had only cleared and treated the right lane of traffic and the ice was already re-accumulating, so I had plenty of time to think about this. The area I work in is safe, but I'm not far at all from the edge of the remote forest. What would happen if they made their way there? And the fact that these people were on the loose made me queasy. Thankfully I'd get off of work early, two more feet of snow were expected by tomorrow morning."

[size=18]Replies[/size]

simLink: spooooooooookky...

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »
Hmm, very interesting. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the area right now... sounds like sketchy things are coming up in Whitewater Territory.

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 02:44:41 pm »
Update 20 - Under the Cover of Darkness - Part 2

I walked into the regional headquarters building and took the elevator up to floor 17, which is where my office is. There was this person on the elevator going to the same floor as I was. He was biting his nails, breathing heavily and had a nervous look on his face. I didn't want to ask what he was nervous about, so when we got to floor 17, we both got off. As I walked down the hall toward my office, this person followed me until I opened the door. Then he immediately turned around, and walked the opposite direction, turned down another hallway, and I didn't see him again.

After a few minutes I got engulfed in writing reports and taking phone calls that I didn't give that person any further thought. But then as I was taking a break, sitting by my window looking out over the forest, I heard loud yelling and someone pounding on a table from the office next to me. I sort of figured that his computer crashed or he accidentally clicked "don't save" on a report, and the person next to me had anger problems to begin with.

Except the person next to me was on vacation.

I stepped next door and quietly knocked on the door just to see who was filling in for him. They had seemingly put a brown paper cover over the window on their door, and I heard rustling and quiet talking when I knocked and then, all was silent. I knocked again, and someone said "who is it?"

"It's me, John Lancaster, the person from the office next door."
"Oh..... uh.... come in...."

I was surprised to see that this was the exact same person I met in the elevator. Except he was breathing even more heavily than he was before. I tried to engage in some conversation to try to get to know him, he might just be nervous about something or likes to talk to himself.

"So, your name is?"
"Uhm... Clark?"
"Well, nice to meet you Clark. John Lancaster."
"Ahuh..."
"So are you filling for Lewis?"
"Umm.. uh.. yeah?."
"So, are you new here? And what is your position?"
"Uh, no, I worked on, uh, floor 14. I was moved here. I'm an...eh... record manager?"
"Okay, good to meet you."
"Mhm."

I was wondering about this person and why he was unwilling to talk, why he was biting his nails and why he kept fidgeting. I didn't want to start rumours, might just be that he has avoidant personality disorder, but this person was making me nervous too, so I went to some co-workers and asked what they knew about it. I asked two people who were next to me and a few others across the hall, they had all seen him but never did go to see who he was, because of his nervousness.

I immediately felt that this person wasn't supposed to be here. What was all the rustling? And why did it sound like several people were talking? And if that was the case, what happened to all of them? I went to the district manager to see if he hired a Clark. I told him what he had said, and I told him about the noise and yelling that I heard. He replied, "There is no Clark working on floor 17. There wasn't a Clark on floor 14 either. There's only "Clarks" on floors 8 and 25.

The district manager told me to stay in his office, and not to go back to mine. He immediately went to this alleged "Clark's" office.

The office was in a huge mess, the window was open, and nobody was there.

Replies

simLink: Definitely won't be an easy fix...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:29:33 pm by cheesey »

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:59 pm »
Hmmm, this is getting very interesting. Kinda spooky, actually. It's getting darker in Whitewater, that's for sure. You have me very intrigued!

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2013, 12:44:21 am »

replies next update...