Author Topic: Holt District  (Read 4470 times)

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
  • 3 is my favourite number.
Re: Holt District
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 12:23:47 am »

WELCOME TO THE SPECIAL HOLIDAY HD UPDATE!

Today's update takes a look at what's happening throughout Holt District in the rush leading up to Christmas Day. We visit several cities and examine the lives of what is currently happening amongst many Holt District families. Let's go take a look at the holiday festivities...

'Twas 2 Nights Before Christmas...

14.1 | 'Twas 2 nights before Christmas... and all through the region, not a creature was stirring .. okay... that's a lie. Let's start from the beginning, shall we? 'Twas 2 nights before Christmas, and all through Holt District, the malls they were packed, the lines they were long. Residents everywhere were busy purchasing, things from toys and clothing to maybe even a diamond ring.

14.2 | The malls they were busy, but not just them. For you see, the sims needed food too. The Walmarts and the Sobeys' busy they were, as sims hurried for the cocoa that was forgotten. Eggs they were popular, for the Christmas baking, and forgotten often did it seem they were.

14.3 | All the children lying in bed were they. Excitement was building as Santa neared. Some hoped for snow, a White Christmas indeed. Rare is it though, for snow in Holt District.

14.4 | Especially joyous were some. Many residents, you see, were celebrating their first Holidays' in Holt District. This neighbourhood, filled it is, with residents anew.

14.5 | With the holidays arriving, winter break did begin. School students on vacation for 2 weeks they were. Some were filled with glee, not because of the holidays, but the break from the grind of education.

14.6 | Adults in bliss, were they. For since Christmas falls on a Tuesday, Monday the offices are closed. And many offices offered Wednesday off as well, for productivity was skyrocketing. An extra-long break, for the adults it is. Offices like this will be silent for days.

14.7 | Into the city, we head. Sherkston is bustling with an influx of people. At the Toyota Centre, Christmas concert does it blast. The Holt Orchestra and other bands play, serenading the crows with a mix of modern and traditional.

14.8  ...and while many drop from a long day of shopping, partying are many more at the Annual Christmas party. Laughter and finger foods fill the room, as do a few drunken fools... perhaps the eggnog was a little less nog than the previous year.

14.9 | The parties continued into the wee hours of the morning. Many left early, dreading more shopping at the last-minute. Many others partied all night long, forgetting to go home...

'Twas 2 nights before Christmas, and all through the region... many creatures were stirring, perhaps even some mice...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE! HOPE YOU ARE/HAVE ENJOYED YOUR HOLIDAY SEASON.

cheesey
Thanks cheese! :D

Coming Soon: December 2012 Census! This census, ironically, will be published in January.
#BOLDEWHD may also soon make an appearance...

Offline Ceafus 88

• Administrator
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 5
  • Keep it professional, but keep it fun.
    • The Sim Kingdom
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »
Super awesome update!!!

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:11 pm »
Teaser Time!
This was supposed to be a full update, but SC4 decided instead is was "Crash as often as possible, making playing nearly impossible!" time. So, here's a picture of an area that I've been working on that will be featured in the next full update... hope you don't mind the wait. :)

More suburban sprawl... where ever could this intersection be? Stay tuned to find out...

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 11:11:20 pm »

WELCOME TO THE FIRST HD OSITM UPDATE!

Happy New Year! 2013 will be off to a rocking start here in Holt District! We have the census coming up and also have the BoldNewHD announcement to look for. There will also be more updates than usual, because Holt District is OSITM (Of Special Interest This Month) over at SC4Devotion! So some of the celebrations will spill over here.

So, let's get on with this show! Today's update takes place in Midport. During the last census period (January-September) Midport was being the only municipality in Holt District to have a population decline. Albeit it was only 0.1%. Since then, though, Midport has been booming. Today we take a look at Midport before and during the current boom. By now, I'm sure you're bored of my blabbing, so let's finally get to the pictures.  :D

Midport Rising

15.1 | Midport has long lagged in development, more recently is became the least booming municipality in the region after the boom started in Old Port. It is quite mysterious to outsiders why this area hasn't been developed yet. But to locals...

15.2 | ...locals know why the waterfront remained undeveloped. This stretch of the waterfront also remains undeveloped. Despite the massive traffic carrying capabilities, this area is deserted. The town council of Midport has long blocked the majority of any proposed developments. This came after the election of a different mayor and several new conucillors, who were staunchly against development despite campaigning on responsible development. To them, obviously, responsible was none at all...

15.3 | The previous council to the current anti-development was very much in favour of development. Development ran rampant, increasing population from 5000 to over 30000. The elevated rail lines were extended by the region at the request of Midport council to allow for a future midrise development. This never panned out, and so today this station sits in the middle of nowhere...

15.4 | One of the reasons citizens voted for a council of responsible-developmet candidates was this development. Constructed without public consultation, it was the last straw for many.

15.5 | But recently, changes have started. A new council was elected - no candidate was reelected. Residents saw the writing on the wall - with BoldNewHD scheduled to come into effect, more planning power is given to the region. While municipalities still have the say in which developments go through or not the planning regulations have dramatically changed. Rather than fight this plan, which many former candidates proposed, the elected candidates campaigned on controlling the look of developments and creating a cohesive waterfront - the area likely to be targeted. That option won out, and development has since boomed. This development was recently completed...

15.6 | While the development is reminiscent of the large condo project just to the south, the buildings are more attractive and the development kept a significant portion of trees along the oceanfront.

15.7 | The development also worked around the small natural ponds of the area, as opposed to back filling them for more housing.

15.8 | The above development is not the only recent addition to Midport. Curved, a 3-tower development, has taken the centre stage of the developing Midport Skyline. It is expected to be the centre of the new oceanfront condo/commercial zone of Midport.

15.9 | Near Curved this construction site again protects trees along the watefront. This area, deemed Port Shops, will house several high-class retailers and local shops alike. It is expected to, for the first time, draw tourists to Midport.

15.10 | Perhaps the most dramatic change to Midport will occur with the development of Baytide Condominiums. To be comprised of 4 massive towers, the development will blockout the ocean view to many, but provide a pristine view to many more. A 1 bedroom unit will set you back upwards of $700 000 - and that's not facing the ocean.

15.11 | Lastly, to finish with a bang, this stunning (IMO :)) night view of the Curved Condominium development and some of the surrounding area.

That's it for today! I hope you've enjoyed today's update! Until next time! :D

Frex_Ceafus
Thanks! :D

Stay tuned because there is lots coming this way! The Holt District December 2012 (appearing in Jan '13 :P) Census and BoldNewHD announcement, all coming soon!

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:08 pm »

A bold new plan to develop a bold new Holt District.

BoldNewHD will create a massive change in Holt District. Every possible thing that can be changed will ultimately be. Planning and development. Transit. Jobs and recreation. Healthcare and education. Entertainment and shopping. Everything is going to change. The sleepy region Holt District started as when this MD began will be swallowed up. It is becoming a world-class region. By the time all the aims of this project are completed, the region will have been transformed into a modern metropolis. The region is already booming, with developments popping up seemingly daily. Some are well thought out, others are not. Some planning guidelines are fuzzy, leading to mis-matching areas.

With this plan, a major aim to develop the region cohesively and introduce new landmarks which will draw people, professionals, scholars and tourists alike to the region. With this plan, development will be accelerated and embrace to keep up with the massive demand. The plan will for the first time open industrial development to the region. But most important, it will try to create cohesive "zones" that make logical sense. In essence, to control sprawl. While the region will undoubtedly sprawl, this plan will control it as much as possible into logical layouts.

As you can see, the plan covers 8 major areas of focus: transit, entertainment, development, shopping, education, healthcare, recreation and jobs. Below an outline of each focus area is given below. For the full descriptions visit the plans site: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com

FOCUS AREAS:

TRANSIT:
The strength of any region is based upon its' transportation system. As Holt District grows, we need to ensure our network of roads, highways and public transportation meets the needs of our growing region. The previously announced HDHIP project is a start, increasing access to the western and southern portions of the region. But we need to keep going. A region-wide public transit system needs to be developed. The efficiency of the highways need to be continuously evaluated. Local roads need to be widened and maintained so transportation within the region moves as fast as possible.

For more information on transit visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/transit.html

ENTERTAINMENT:
The creation of new entertainment venues will help draw tourists to Holt District and expand our already growing tourist industry. The expansion of the tourist industry will lead to the creation of thousands of permanent positions, plus thousands more in construction. This includes the construction of a large-format arena, multi-purpose arena. A world-class golf course is on the docket to bring avid golfers and pro-tournaments to the region. The region is also in negotiations to sell a plot of land to a theme park operator for the creation of the first amusement park in any of the 5 regions nearest Holt District.

For more information about entertainment, visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/entertainment.html

DEVELOPMENT:
Creating a cohesive regional layout is imperative. Having everything residents need nearby, placing residential in attractive areas and developing industry near major transportation corridors is imperative. Without these basic principals the region would enter into chaos. Demand in the region is so high that even the current pace is not keeping up with demand. So this plan increases the rate of development while also controlling it. There will be more residential development. To keep up with commercial office demand, a new CBD will be founded. The density of many new developments will also increase. In order to keep the character of the region, some developments will be built in the current density style.

For more information on development visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/development.html

SHOPPING:
This plan aims to attract new retailers to Holt District through the opening of land for retail development. The plan comprises of several different types of development, including urban shopping destinations, expanded mall space and develop more convenience-based retailing for the region's permanent residents. The main aims of this segment include the construction of the 1000000+ sq.ft. Plaza Mall, The Sherkston Shopping District and expanding the overall retail footprint of the area.

For more information on shopping visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/shopping.html

EDUCATION:
The paramount of advancing a region is its education. As such the region aims to improve public education through facility expansions and renovation, training programs for teachers and new programs for students. The region is also evaluating lobbying for a satellite campus for a post-secondary education institute, or the establishment of a new university all together.

For more information on education visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/education.html

HEALTHCARE:
The Holt District Regional Government intends to make sure the health care system in the region continue to provide residents with the services required. The region together with the province is working toward the construction of new healthcare facilities, expansion of existing facilities and bringing new treatment centers to the region through the province's public health care system. The Region will maintain its already high-level of health care service.

For more information on healthcare visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/healthcare.html

RECREATION:
The region will keep the good times rolling for the region's residents! Without recreation services the region would not be able to attract residents that are driving all other sectors of the economy. The region intends to expand parkland, construct new sports complexes and construct new indoor arenas.

For more information on recreation visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/recreation.html

JOBS:
The region will continue to attract employment to the region through low taxes, available space and tax breaks to certain industries. The region will also for the first time allow the construction of industrial zones to attract greater number of companies and new residents.

For more information on jobs visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/jobs.html

Whew, that was a lot of text! As you can see the region will become dramatically different than it currently is. Just about everything will be changed, and no section of land will be the same by the time this project has wrapped up. I look forward over the coming months to share with you projects will fall under this plan, and show you the BOLDNEWHD!

Again, this post was only a summary. For full information visit:
boldnewhd.weebly.com
There is a lot of awesome information on the site, so I really strongly encourage you to check it out!

Look for #BOLDNEWHD on twitter

Replies next update!

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
  • Why? Because we all like tacos, no?
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 02:55:18 pm »
Looking foward to this!

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:31 pm »

It's Teaser Time!

As I begin to prepare the December 2012 Census for publication I have for you more teasers! I wanted a full update, but with all the work that goes into the census a teaser is what I wound up with instead. But trust me, it's worth it. :) So today we are in an unknown location of the region, looking at something that has risen due to the new planning guidelines set out by BoldNewHD. Let's have a looksee at what could possibly going on...

Teaser 1: Believe it or not, we're in the middle of an industrial park. This man made pond was one of the requirements set out by BoldNewHD, that within industrial developments should be beautification. While some don't understand it, others appreciate the fact that some land in the industry-designated zones is occupied by nature.

Teaser 2: With the massive influx of jobs thanks to a rapidly expanding industrial sector comes an increase in residents. Here we see a brand new neighbourhood with brand new houses, brand new Jr. and Sr. high schools and brand new communications towers... the theme really here is "new, new, new." That theme is playing out across the region, which you will soon see in the census.

Stay tuned for the December 2012 Census results... the region has had another quarter of stellar growth.

Check out the newly remodelled HD Official Website at holtdistrict.weebly.com!

Offline Darth Apple

• SPEX Administrator
  • Local Legend
  • Reputation 0
    • Simmania
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 06:41:33 pm »
It looks great. I especially like the pond in the industrial park. It's a great touch. :)

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 11:00:23 pm »

Well, this is a little embarrassing  I originally intended to be publishing the census right now, but I suppose I was a little scatterbrained yesterday. To make a long story short, I'm away from my computer that has SC4 on it this weekend, so I grabbed all the pictures and stats needed for the census update prep and publication and put them on a USB. Of course, I forgot to bring that USB stick with me. So... the census update has had to be delayed to January 15. Hopefully I actually get it up. So, enjoy this pretty image advertising the delayed census.

Any guesses to which city this is? First correct guess (across all 5 versions) may just get a cool prize. Maybe. :P

To make up for the delay, I'm finally doing applies. :P

cheesey
Glad you are - I'm excited to watching it unfold and the response it generates! :D

blakesterville
Thanks! I'm glad you like the pond, it has gone over very well. :)

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 12:58:50 pm »
My guess is Saltfield. Though it could be Kuhan. Or maybe even Midport.
I can't tell :'(

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »

WELCOME TO THE DECEMBER 2012 CENSUS IN HD!

The moment is finally here! After several delays (unintentional and intentional) the December 2012 Census in HD is here! Although yes, it is January, this is the December census as this alligns with the census schedule. A census will be done quarterly (every 3 months) - meaning they occur at the end of March, June, September and December. 2012's December census was delayed in part because of OSITM and in part because of RL and forgetting a USB stick on my part. But enough blabbering about what the census is, and more info about this quarter's census.

Q4 in Holt District was a quarter of significant growth. If you thought the last census showed significant growth, be prepared to be astonished this time! Thanks to relaxed planning regulations, super high demand and other various factors (including BOLDNEWHD) growth has taken off in Holt District. A condo boom continues through many of the major cities in the region, and sprawl is making inroads in the western portion of the region. Holt District is becoming a leading region in Orchidsen (the province it resides in) and could soon be considered a world-class place to live and work. While residential growth has been astounding, so had the increase in the number of jobs. The commercial sector continues to dominate commerce in the region, however industrial sector is picking up steam thanks to new designated industrial development areas throughout the region. Of course with massive growth comes some people who are unhappy, the "traditionalists" so to speak - those who want development to stop. But they are few and far between. As the region continues to boom there are still no signs of a bubble - supply is still well-below demand, jobs are keeping up and although prices are continuing to rise, they are not rising at a worrying pace.

So let's go on and take a look at population figures and something many may be waiting for - an updated region view. Note that unlike the last census update, this update does not have a "major development" section - there are so many that instead regular updates will continue to show off new developments. :)

We begin with the overall region population. Holt District's growth has been astonishing this quarter thanks to a region-wide construction boom. How astonishing was growth? Just scroll down... the number may surprise you. Remember, last census period the population was below 485 000...

As you can see, these new projects have really driven growth. And also take note: this data is real-time quarters. As in from September 29, 2012 to data retrieval day. Not SimCity time.

The first of the municipalities brings us to The City of Sherkston:

The ongoing condo boom in the city continued, fuelled by the influx of jobs to the city.

Next we arrive in the City of Manatee which has experienced its own boom along with Sherkston...

Jobs growth, along with residents choosing to live in quieter Manatee over Sherkston fuelled a 30% population gain.

We arrive in the first of Holt District's towns, heading north to The Town of Dofino. Dofino was the biggest %gainer this census period.

It's proximity to Sherkston and low land costs fuelled an over 300% swell in population.

Next we find us in Shorecoast. Shorecoast was the slowest grower this quarter.

Waterfront development was focused in Midport, which meant slower growth in Shorecoast this census period.

We move west to the Town of Kuhan, formerly The Township of Northwest Holt.

Suburban sprawl continue this census period, lifting Kuhan to one of the largest municipalities in the region.

This picture should look fammilar. Nobody correctly guessed this as Norecount, Manatee's southern neighbour.

Industrial expansion in the town, along with increased jobs available in Manatee, fuelled growth in this once sleepy town.

After being the only municipality with a population decrease last census period, Midport is now booming.

Waterfront development has lifted Midport's population, almost doubling it in the most recent quarter.

The Township of Saltfield continues to boom, and will soon be reincorporated as a town...

Suburban sprawl and suburban condominiums have lifted Saltfield's population. Industrial development is also on the rise.

We arrive now to Old Port, our last community to look at.

Old Port's population was lifted by the ongoing expansion of the large planned community in the town.

For reference, here is the population data as you would have seen it during the September 2012 Census:

Holt District (Entire Region): 489 539
Sherkston: 151 690
Manatee: 119 330
Shorecoast: 74 783
Midport: 33 103
Norecount: 18 044
Dofino: 26 824
Old Port: 17 331
Northwest Holt (Now Kuhan): 20 565
Saltfield: 21 869
Just a bit different, eh?

And that does it for population figures! As you can see, this has been another stellar quarter of growth in Holt District!

REGION VIEW TIME!

This first region view is the current look of the region, as of the collection of data. The region has significantly filled in and as you will notice, we've yet to see alot of what has developed. Development in the west has taken off, as has it in the north (Dofino). Also note the increased density of Sherkston's CBD.

For reference, here is Holt District's region view at the time of the last census (in late September) - a very big difference.

AND THAT DOES IT FOR THE DECEMBER 2012 CENSUS IN HD!
Thanks to everyone for your patience in its delay. I hope you enjoyed it, and enjoyed a little more detail into what the population is doing in Holt District! Be on the lookout for the next census, which is scheduled to happen at the end of March! Will it be another quarter of stellar growth? Stay tuned...

cheese
Sorry: none of the above! It was Norecount. :)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:01:44 pm by simlink ♔ »

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 02:49:21 pm »
Lots of growth! :P
And who is bat? :P

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »
And who is bat? :P

Woops. That's fixed... :P

Offline simlink ♔

• Simopsis Founder
  • Webmaster
  • Simopsis Legend
  • Reputation 13
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 10:07:51 pm »

"WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS..."
TEASER

It's looking a little bit wet outside in Holt District today.

Maybe I'll take my boat to work today...

That's it for today. Replies next update.

Offline cheesey

• Global Moderator
  • Simopsis Expert
  • Reputation 8
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 10:21:10 pm »
Is that photoshopped or weather mod?